A brief history of the locality Nagykovácsi


Nagykovácsi is some 15 km from the centre of Budapest lying in a valley at an elevation of 340 metres. Both archeological finds and archival documents verify that human beings inhabited this area since time immemorial. The finds recovered from the caves of the Remete ravine and along the banks of the Ördög brook clearly demonstrate that historical man lived here since the glacial period through the stone, copper, bronze and iron ages. The various implements, coins and stone fragments of statues unearthed in the area indicate that people of the Roman Empire also frequented this locality. Some of the more valuable pieces of these stone fragments have been built into the wall of the local residence of the parish-priest.

Following the Magyar Conquest of the Carpathian Basin documents written in Latin, dating back to the XIIIth century, prove that life prevailed here. The first document that came down to prosterity, a deed of gift, was dated in 1254. During the Turkish occupation of Hungary, in the middle of the XVIth century, the village suffered a great deal, and the number of the inhabitants sharply decreased. After the expelling of the Turks the Habsburg House ruling in Hungary invited people (in 1700-1760) from Germany to settle in Kovácsi. The Germans were good at animal husbandry and producing various fruits. They also functioned three quarries, a coal mine and two lime-kilns.

The Nagykovácsi manor house was built in the first half of the XIXth century by the Teleki family. But later the property passed onto the Tisza family, and today we know and call it the Tisza Manor House.

After the second world war the manor house was put to good common use. For since 1958 an educational establishment has been functioning here. Originally the children of the foresters of Hungary found home in this beautiful establishment to get regular school teaching throughout the year. The idea of gathering foresters' school children into an educational homely establishment was gradually recognized throughout Europe as an excellent initiative and attracted visitors fron many countries.

Today the villagers do all to protect the values of the locality: Virgin Mary's statue, the first world war memorial, the local churches. Our latest endeavour was to save from delapidation the tiny chapel erected at tha doorstep of the village, which was reconstructed and beautifully renovated in 1994. The four foundations help to realize several civil initiatives.